Monday 31 December 2018

To New Beginnings

by Stepney Glory-Emeh

Hi everyone, so this is going to be my first and last blog post of 2018!!! Any one excited?!! No? No? Not You? Woow, not even you? D@mn! Real tears. 

Anyway, in case you've been wondering why I haven't put up any content through out the year, then we're in the same space because I've also been wondering the same thing. Let me sha blame the person that always receives blame when things go wrong, his name is... za Devil! 

I had to quickly scribble the content to end what I'll say has been an eventful year (before the year actually ends) and what, of course, kick-starts full-on political season. Yeah yeah, we're back to political talk again... I know I know, booooorrrriiiing. But yeah, it's another election just around the corner.  

Four years have surely coasted by, however terribly, or not so, that they have and as with every election, campaigns are on course and politicians are doing what they know how to do best. Despite all the politicking and events that come with elections, the end game is to get the electorate to vote a particular candidate into a particular office. This in my opinion is where the problem lies. 

The Nigerian electorate, largely made up of an uninformed, poorly educated and highly unmotivated population, will most likely not vote based on critical issues but rather on the possibility of temporary financial gain. 

Politicians capitalize on this sad reality to gain millions of votes every season. As the campaigns continue and the intensity increases, the greatest goal of any well-meaning person connected to this election should be voter education. Quite frankly, unfortunately, this is not something than can be easily achieved in four years let alone two months. 

The electorate need to know that voting and being voted for are their fundamental rights and so these rights should not be sold and ought not to be bought... shame on all the vote buyers out there. The basis of ethnicity and religion should be a back burner in the electioneering process. Competence, merit and forward looking ideologies need to be in the fore. Your vote is your power; if you are not happy with how things are going then by all means, vote to change the status quo, if you are comfortable with the status quo then vote for continuity. 

Again this is just something I scribbled to reintroduce myself to the blogworld because blog season is upon us! *Heavenly-choir-music 

Too much? Okay... I'm excited. I hope everyone had a wonderful 2018 because I sure did and I pray that everyone, including you reading this, has an even better 2019! 

Say amen. 



3 comments:

  1. Perfect write-up! Well articulated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the short, clear and humorous message.

    ReplyDelete