Friday 22 July 2016

FIRE BURN DEM!

I was eager to be off, two annoying hours on a queue just to enter a miserable bus to that bleak town. Then it finally got to my turn, I paid for my ticket and entered the miserable bus. I settled down hoping no ‘Overly Plump Person’ would worsen my day by sitting next to me – nobody likes to be squeezed like sardines in an already uncomfortable bus (I don’t hate O.P.Ps). So the thing is, I was heading back to campus in that bleak town and after years of riding with Miserable Motors, I had given up hope of any fine girl ever sitting next to me in the bus; my luck no dey reach there, I just focus on hoping for a comfortable ride. [Back to today’s Bus] So you can imagine my relief when a smallish woman occupied the seat next to mine, I said a silent thank you and then plugged in my earphones and closed my eyes.

“IN THE NAME OF JESUS!!!” I was jolted awake by the sound of a strong voice and surprise, surprise, the owner of the voice was the petite woman next to me. I was emotionless! but feeling guilty about not praying before the journey, I unplugged my earphones and sat listening, offering my voice minimally to the intense prayer every now and again with a humble A-men.

"HOLY GHOOOST FIRE!!!", "FIRE!!!!!!"

"Any-BODY dat doesn't want this journey to be SUCCESSFUL, be it ONE person on dis bus, or A GROUP OF DEM…”

"…Oku Mmuo Nso KPOO HA OKU!!!!!!"

*Translation*

"HOLY GHOOOOOOST FIRE!!!!!!"

(Image Source)

She went on for a long time, vehemently cursing between enemies; seen&unseen, and evil family&friends; known and unknown. I often find these public fire for fire sessions somewhat comic and so I quickly did a once over at everyone on the bus to see if anyone else was slightly amused but no, they all appeared to be deep in prayer; casting&binding anyone and anything hindering their progress in any way, shape or form, with intermittent breaths of, "Fire!"
Such was the intensity of spiritual fervour in the bus that I had to entertain for an instant, the thought that I might have been a hindrance to the safety of the vehicle and its passengers due to my unenthusiastic participation; much like the proverbial Jonah, I could have been a potential source of bad luck. But then I really started to think about it all, mind you, my thoughts are not attempts at trying to sound clever. I wondered, if all our prayers were answered; how many people would spontaneously combust or fall dead? I wondered, if God decided to humour Himself; would we all fall down and die – as fellow architects of our own misfortunes; our own enemies of progress and/or our own stumbling blocks?

It is widely believed that God intended us all to be prosperous and wealthy and that when this is not so, someone or something is preventing us from fulfilling that destiny. While this may be true, the danger with this school of thought is that people, instead of looking inwards for the more uncomfortable possibility that they are not doing something right rather peruse perceived external forces holding their progress at bay.  No one is left out of the loop; not even father or sister – but bad bele really dey sha.

We all like a good grass to grace story, no problem there but the Nigerian factor here is that we don't want the run of the mill grass to grace cliché; it has to be spectacular, it has to be spiritual! Malefactors lurking in dark corners tirelessly working against our success in realms beyond the physical must be defeated after all. 

Take the case of a neighbour's toddler climbing a gate. After a friend warns her that her baby could fall, the mother’s immediate response is "My baby will not fall in JESUS NAME!" In this case, the toddler who knows no better obviously is oblivious to the danger he is in, his responsibility is in your hands. Therefore if that child were to fall, there is no one to blame but the mother for whatever injuries the child may sustain.

The truth is that no one likes to take the blame, but more oft than not, that face staring back at you in the mirror is as much your stumbling block as anyone or anything else. So stop raining down black flame and accept your BLAME!


Next 

2 comments: